This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

What should you expect from us?

Your doctor will try to share decisions about your care with you, as health care benefits from a partnership between you and your doctor.  Of course, being a partner in your care means you have responsibilities too.

We will:

  • Ensure our patients have 24-hour access to medical advice.
  • Aim for you to have access to a suitably qualified medical professional within 48 hours of your initial contact during surgery hours, or in an urgent case, the same day.
  • Work in partnership with you to achieve the best medical care possible.
  • Involve you and listen to your opinions and views in all aspects of your medical care.
  • The prevention of disease, illness and injury is a primary concern.
  • Our medical staff will advise and inform you of the steps you can take to promote good health and a healthy lifestyle.

We would respectfully ask that you:

  • Let us know if you intend to cancel an appointment/are running late.
  • Treat staff with courtesy and respect. Reception staff may have to ask some personal questions to assist us in providing you with the best service.
  • Inform the practice staff of any alterations in your circumstances, such as change of surname, address or telephone number. Please ensure that we have your correct telephone number even if it’s ex-directory.

As a patient you are responsible for your own health and that of your dependents. Our role is to advise and offer you choices and options where they exist. None of this works unless you too play your part, for instance by taking medication regularly or by attending the practice for check-ups and medication reviews when required.


Please also refer to our Fair Processing/Privacy Notice.

The practice complies with Data Protection and Access to Medical Records legislation. Identifiable information about you will be shared with others in the following circumstances:

  • To provide further medical treatment for you e.g. from district nurses and hospital services.
  • To help you get other services e.g. from the social work department. This requires your consent.
  • When we have a duty to others e.g. in child protection cases
  • Anonymised patient information will also be used at local and national level to help the Health Board and Government plan services e.g. for diabetic care.

If you do not wish anonymous information about you to be used in such a way, please let us know.

Reception and administration staff require access to your medical records in order to do their jobs. These members of staff are bound by the same rules of confidentiality as the medical staff.


Please feel free to pass on any comments you have about the service we provide.

We welcome complaints as a chance to address deficiencies on our part – and we welcome compliments as a means of telling us what’s right.

Complaints should ideally be put in writing and addressed to either Mrs Melanie Bowers or Mrs Julie Williams-Wilson, although you are of course free to discuss things informally with any of the doctors or with Melanie or Julie, first. Sometimes things go wrong and we will always do our best to address any deficiencies on our part. We would rather have your feedback if you are unhappy so that we can improve things for the future.

Making a complaint will not affect your care or treatment. We adhere to the NHS complaints policy and will always acknowledge and investigate your concerns. A copy of our full complaints policy is available from reception.


PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

What should you do if you want on the spot help when using the health service? The NHS expects all members of staff to listen and respond to you to the best of their ability. But sometimes, you may wish to talk to someone employed especially to help you.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service known as PALS, has been introduced to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends and answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible.

What does PALS do?

PALS will:

  • Provide you with information about the NHS and help you with any other health-related enquiry
  • Help resolve concerns or problems when you are using the NHS
  • Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you may want to make a complaint
  • Provide you with information and help introduce you to agencies and support groups outside the NHS
  • Inform you about how you can get more involved in your own healthcare and the NHS locally
  • Improve the NHS by listening to your concerns, suggestions and experiences and ensuring that people who design and manage services are aware of the issues you raise
  • Provide an early warning system for NHS Trusts and monitoring bodies by identifying problems or gaps inservices and reporting them.

Find out more
If you would like more information about PALS the functions it is intended to provide and the standards it should strive to achieve , please go to or write to:  Patient and Liaison Service (PALS),  Rushbrook House, Papermill Lane, Bramford, Ipswich, Suffolk  IP8 4DE.   Or Freephone: 0800 389 6819 (Option 1).

From this you can expect an impartial and objective reinvestigation into your complaint by a member of the West Suffolk Clinical Commissioning Group (WSCCG).  Their investigation will also review how your complaint was handled at the Practice.

The Ombudsman can be contacted as follows:

Complaints helpline:  0345 015 4033 (Mon - Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm)

  • Fax:  0300 061 4000
  • (to complain online or down load a paper form)
  • Write to:    The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London   SW1P 4QP


Other Agencies include:



The NHS Complaints Advocacy for Suffolk (VoiceAbility)

  • email:
  • Tel:  0300 330 5454 (Helpline Mon - Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm)
  • Write to:  VoiceAbility, Total Voice Suffolk, Ipswich Road, Stowmarket, Suffolk  IP14 1BE



NHS England:

You may also make your complaint directly to NHS England, who commission our service:


You may also approach Healthwatch, the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy;

The local Healthwatch can be found at:

The IHCA is able to be contacted at:

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website